The Town of Shelburne understands the sacrifices made by every man and woman, both home and abroad, who has endured in the name of our country. That’s why a committee of Shelburne Veterans has made plans for a memorial to be constructed on the Parade Green and approved by the Design Review Board. Featuring a 5-point star made of granite, a brick sidewalk, benches, shade trees, and plantings, the memorial will honor Veterans from seven wars.
“The goal of our committee is to be able to construct the memorial through fundraising efforts and in-kind donations and without taxpayer money,” said committee member Mike Lynch. “We have already raised $50,000 of the $100,000 necessary to move forward with construction.” Lynch is appreciative of all the help they have received so far, and believes that if donations keep coming in at their current rate, the memorial will be completed and ready for dedication by next Memorial Day.
Personalized engraved brick pavers are on sale now as a design feature of the memorial and as a fundraising effort in support of its construction. Brick pavers, at a cost of $100 each, may be ordered for any veteran that:
• Served on active duty, in the Reserve, or National Guard for a period of time after 1900
• Is or was a Shelburne resident at the time they enlisted
• Was a veteran who was a resident of Shelburne at the time of their death
• Was a veteran who died or went missing in a war since 1900 and was a family member of a person who is presently a resident of Shelburne
• Was a veteran who died or went missing in a war since 1900 and was a family member of a person who was a resident of Shelburne at the time they were lost
• Is a veteran who is a current Shelburne resident
• Is or was a veteran who played a prominent role in the life of the Shelburne community over an extended period of time even though they were not a resident of Shelburne.
Any assistance or contribution will bring the committee closer to making this memorial a reality. Help honor those who have fallen in the line of duty and celebrate the lives of those who currently serve with a purchase of a brick paver. Pavers may be ordered at the Veterans Memorial booth at the Farmers Market most Saturdays between 9am-1pm, or at the town offices at any time during business hours. For more information, or to find out which days they will be at the Farmers Market, call Mike Lynch at 985-2461 or Sam Fietelberg at 985-3656.