Now is the time to plan and decorate your home for fall. This autumn, consider trying your hand at do-it-yourself home projects that add seasonal warmth and color to the home — while creating fun for your whole family.
“A great way to add excitement to seasonal décor for fall is with timely crafting projects with a theme or consistent color scheme,” said Nicole Long, manager of inspiration at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. “This year, accenting traditional autumn colors like orange and brown with teals and purples can visually transform your home and will also liven up any seasonal party.”
If you’re having trouble getting inspired, here’s an ideal project for teens and adults from the experts at Jo-Ann:
Paisley Floor Pillows
Approximate crafting time: 2 1/2 hours
Supplies and Tools (for one pillow):
• 2 yards corduroy
• 1/2 yard corduroy in contrasting color
• 9”x12” felt squares, two each in coordinating colors
• One package glitter buttons
• Approx. 1 3/4 lbs. polyester fiberfill
• Sewing machine
• Basic sewing supplies
• White glue
Note: 1/2” seam allowance throughout
1. Cut one strip main color corduroy 6”x72”.
2. Cut two large paisley shapes of same corduroy.
3. Cut one small paisley shape of contrasting corduroy.
4. Glue or sew small paisley on one main color paisley for top.
5. Embellish top with felt shapes of choice and buttons. Sew or glue in place.
6. Sew the 6” edge of the long strip to make a large circle, leaving 1/2” open at top and bottom.
7. Place seam of strip at the point of the paisley top and sew all around.
8. Repeat with bottom, leaving a 6” opening for turning.
9. Turn and stuff.
10. Slip stitch opening closed.
And there’s no better way to celebrate a new season than with a party that not only brings friends together, but inspires with something beautiful that you and your family created to decorate your home.
In addition to seasonal thematic decorations, now’s the time to also break out some fall fare, like corn bread, pumpkin pie, and apple cider, and play music at home that evokes autumn. Timely project ideas, such as embroidered cup sleeves and a paisley peacock cake, are available online at www.joann.com/holidays-autumn.
Letting your home’s décor change with the seasons doesn’t need to stress you out. Make it fun by doing it yourself!