With Champlain Valley Union’s (CVU) wrestling team rapidly growing in size, there’s been much talk about whether they could be the ones to dethrone the state title winning streak set by the Mt. Anthony Patriots for the past 24 years.
This weekend’s results at the St. Johnsbury Early Bird season opening tournament proved that the CVU Redhawks are ready for the challenge.
CVU was the highest scoring Vermont team – surpassing last year’s State runner-up St. Johnsbury Academy. The Redhawk wrestling team took home the third place trophy, not far behind teams from Maine and New Hampshire.
“I believe in my heart that we have all the components to close the gap that Mt. Anthony has set. All we have to do is outwork them,” said CVU head coach Gunnar Olson.
Individual medalists were:
• 170 pound Champion, Shelburne junior Grant Poston
• 126 pound Runner-up, Alex Legg
• 160 pound Runner-up, Connor Brown
• 120 pound Third place, Alex Craige
• 182 pound Third place, Shelburne freshman Kienan Kittredge
• 152 pound Fourth place, Shelburne junior Connor Gobeille
• 145 pound Fourth place, Shelburne senior Isaiah Boyd