Shelburne Farmers Market will open for its ninth season on Saturday, May 25 on the Parade in the heart of Shelburne Village.
It’s bigger than ever, according to Market Manager Tod Whitaker who is also the President of Shelburne Business & Professional Association which sponsors the popular market. There are 11 new vendors at the market this year, bringing the total to 45.
The goal of the market, Whitaker says, is to benefit your neighbors, both the neighbors who farm, cook, bake, and craft to ensure the bounty of the weekly market, and the neighbors who rely on the market for its locally - grown fresh produce and the best quality prepared foods and crafts. And with its spacious grassy setting, the Farmers Market is the place to meet and greet, and catch up on neighborly news.
Local singer/songwriter Dawna Hammers will entertain at the opening market.
Stop by the Shelburne News booth and join slam poet and Writers’ Barn teacher Lizzy Fox for Hay Bale Poetry, a fundraiser for Young Writers’ Project, or hang out your literary laundry with Caitlin Downey, another Writers’ Barn instructor, as she provides a laundry list of prompts for a clothesline of secrets and writing.
New vendors this year are:
• West River Creamery of West Londonderry with natural rind cheeses
• Mountain Warrior Farm in Bristol with eggs, garlic, chaga tea, pesto pickles, and maple syrup
• Midnight Goat Farm in Huntington with goat cheese
• Maple Blues Delight of Charlotte with vegetables, zucchini bread, rhubarb pie, and Asian wontons
• Rustic Wraps of Shelburne with sweet crepes and savory wraps featuring fillings and sides made from scratch
• Grand Isle Pasta from Grand Isle with old-world style pasta from local ingredients
• New Farms for New Americans from Burlington with Sambusas, mixed vegetable soup, mandazis, and other Somali foods
• West Side Farm from New Haven with a large variety of organic fruit, vegetables, herbs, and cut flowers
• Freshies Farm from Cambridge with chickens and turkeys
• Buttermilk Pastries and Pies from South Burlington with sweet biscuits, pies, and cookies
• Vermont Hummus Company from Williston with original flavored hummus made from locally grown organic Garbanzo beans.
The Farmers Market is open from 9 am to 1 pm every Saturday through early October.